Friday, October 27, 2017

What's The Take Away?

If you have ever met me, ever had a conversation with me, I am certain at some point in our exchange of words that I brought up South Africa. How am I certain about that? Because what the Lord did in my life in that country 13 years ago CHANGED ME! Those who knew me pre-SA 2004 can testify to that last statement. It was not just a slight change that maybe affected me, it was a complete and total overhaul of my mind, heart, and soul. I entered that country broken, physically and spiritually; I left healed and whole! I had hurt and shame on my shoulders, but the Lord lifted it up off of me and filled me with His joy. The change in me permeated my entire life and being.

I preface with all of that because I got back from my second trip to South Africa this week. I am having a hard time re-adjusting to home because my heart keeps longing to wake up back there. I find myself in a processing stage, and it seems the more I process the more I find reasons to be in that beautiful country. I wanted to take a few minutes though to share some of the amazing things that God showed me, taught me, or used me for on this trip.

1) This trip was not about me.
    
   When the Lord called me to SA back in 2004 it was very obvious that I needed His touch in my life, because I was needing some major healing. And He did it! He was faithful and I found the freedom I was searching for. But this time around I knew going in to the trip that God had other plans in store. I asked Him daily to use me to carry His joy and love to the people around me. I just wanted to serve and honor. And the honest truth, I feel so filled up having spent 10 days doing just that. But it wasn't about me feeling full, it was about those I came in contact with needing to experience the full on joy of the Lord. 
    One of my favorite examples of this was a child that I found swinging by herself at one of the care centers. She had no smile, really no expression at all. And I knew that sweet girl needed the Lord to touch her. I didn't ask her if I could hold her, I walked over and picked her up and hugged her. She rested her head on my chest and I prayed that the Lord would fill her up. At some point I had put her down and lost sight of her. But as we were leaving to our van, there she was waiting on the side of that dirt road. I walked over and said, "Oh my friend!" and picked her up in my arms to give a big hug! When I put her down to leave she had the biggest smile on her face. And as I turned around I heard this sweet voice say, "bye friend!" You better believe I was a puddle! This child that would not smile 20 minutes prior, now had found her smile and a friend. This is why I went on this trip.

2) Testimony releases faith.

    I had been feeling the Lord preparing me to share my testimony a month or so before I left. I am always so ready to share my testimony because I know how encouraging it is to hear from someone who has gone through something similar to you and has come out on the other side. I also think a lot about the scripture in Revelation 12 that talks about overcoming the enemy by the blood of the Lamb and the word of the testimony. There is power in testimony. Something happens in our spirit when testimonies are released and it builds our hope and faith.
    So every opportunity I got I shared my story. I shared the power of the Lord in my life. I rejoiced with people who were currently struggling through something, that God was already working. I asked the Lord to let the words of my story offer a peace in the midst of someone's uphill battle. And I saw Him do that. It was amazing the quickness in which He worked too. It didn't take me an hour of testifying for faith to arise, it would happen in minutes. It was really truly amazing and miraculous!

3) Some times tangible hugs are better than words.

    There were many moments that I felt like my words were not enough. Someone telling you how they felt they were failing at life and felt so defeated and overcome, it's hard to find the right thing to say. A couple of times this happened to me on the trip and I felt the need to just hug and hold them. A hug can be a very powerful and anointed thing. It can break down a barrier that someone has put up and open the door for a receptive heart. I want to always remember that hugs are a tool that we often neglect, and be more aware of when that tool may be needed.

and lastly... (for right now anyway lol)

4) Honor is important.

    The first Sunday we were in SA, we spent it in The Big Tent in Jo Burg. It was a special day because the church had come together to honor the 40th wedding anniversary of their Pastors, Bishop and Pastor Maggie. I watched in awe as person after person and couple after couple spoke words of life and honor over their pastors. It was amazing. It was powerful. It was a deep service. The service lasted for 5 hours... yep, you read that right, 5 hours! INCREDIBLE! 
     But the honoring was not just because they had stayed married for 40 years, the honoring was taking place because of all they had accomplished through their marriage. The many couples who shared of the spiritual mother and father that parented them in the Kingdom. It was amazing. They showered them with gifts and money and hugs and tears. 
    And it got me thinking... we are missing that in America. Often times the church congregation views the pastors as someone there to tend to our needs and so they must answer to us. But I believe we are missing out on some blessings because we don't revere and honor our spiritual leaders. God has ordained them and anointed them to do a heavy and hard job. We need to not only acknowledge that, but lift them up and encourage them. There is something to be said about a church that, doesn't worship their pastor, but honors the person God has ordained. 


So with all of that said, I'm still processing through. Everyday I remember something else the Lord did and asking Him to teach me through it. But mostly, I am thinking about the people and how much love I have for them. If someone put a check in front of me right now for a large sum of money, I would quickly be back on that long flight to SA. If I've said it once I've said it a million times: When you leave Africa you never really fully leave. There is always a part of your heart that remains there.  

And until next time, I will push in to the Lord and ask Him to do in me all that needs to be done so I can be ever more effective when He does send me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment