Monday, November 3, 2014

Relationships

I am a person of high energy that needs people around me. I tend to feel very worn out when I spend a lot of time by myself... and if I don't get time with my friends very often, it begins to feel like I'm on an island somewhere. Oh the joys of extrovertism (yes, I made that word up!).

In this time of my life I am thankful for every relationship I have. There are people that pour into me and push me to grow further than I can imagine myself growing. There are people running beside me in this race and cheering me on as I cheer for them as well. And I've got these relationships with all these amazing teenagers who allow me to speak into their lives. There is just something so fulfilling when you have relationships with people who long to grow and want you to help them get there. So my life is very full of relationships and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

With relationships there often comes frustrations and learning curves... and drama (especially when dealing with teens lol)! And we learn, we talk, we argue, we cry, sometimes we throw fits or shut down but nevertheless we grow... we MUST grow. I have friends in my life that know me pretty well, 3 to be exact. These 3 are the ones that I run to when I am sad, hurting, emotional, or rejoicing and celebrating. They know many of the ups and downs. They also tend to know me better than myself at times. But the quality I love that these 3 share is ears to hear the Lord. They often have opinions and will share them with me, but more so when they share what the Lord is speaking to them it brings this sense of relief to me. How lucky am I to have people in my life that seek the Lord and find Him and heed His directions. 

When God created Adam He said it was "not good for man to be alone"... And there are so many verses in the Bible about being a body and connected to the people around you:

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

1 Corinthians 12:25-27 ESV


That there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.



Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.











The Bible clearly shows us that we are better when we allow relationships in our lives. Not because it's always fun, but because they give us accountability and encouragement. When I look back a the seasons in my life where relationships were not all around me, I recognize that those were times of deep struggle. I struggled to hear the Lord; I struggled with feeling depressed; the struggles were real... literally. I didn't have people to help me see past that moment or to call me out on my bull. And so I dwelt in a circle of my own thoughts and the enemies mind games. So I recognize clearly that without relationships it is hard to live this life fully.










All that to say, be vulnerable... it's a process I'm still learning, but the more open we are, the deeper the Lord can take us. Let people speak into your life. Let them sharpen you. Let them celebrate with you. Be willing to hear what they have to say EVEN IF IT HURTS. Because the Lord will use those relationships to mold us into the best we can be. 









*stepping off of soap box now* lol

1 comment: