Wednesday, March 11, 2020

A Journal To Gratefulness... Week 6: PERSPECTIVE

Happy Wednesday Y'all...

To say the last week has been an emotional one is an understatement. But just because it has been emotional does not mean it was a week to write off.

If you are not sure what I'm referring to you can read last week's blog (click here) to catch up.


I've seen so much beauty come out of a week of clearing out destruction and starting to rebuild lives. As is with most disasters, you see a gentleness and kindness come out in [most] people that may not show normally. As is true for the disaster that hit Middle Tennessee last week. We have had SOOOO many volunteers show up and the turn around has been crazy to watch. I am grateful I live in a place where people care for each other... politics aside, race aside, gender aside, all differences aside. It's a beautiful thing, and the way it is meant to be.




Because of all the work going on around here, I've tried to stay off the roads as much as possible. One, I didn't want to get in the way and two, it's super hard seeing the homes and buildings turned rubble. I think of the families and business owners that have a long road ahead of them and my heart hurts. I think of those who lost somebody and that ache it will continue to bring to their family. The businesses who are just trying to provide for themselves and their employees, and now everything is on hold... it's all hard stuff to process and empathy has got the best of me these days.

With that being said, I did have to drive in to town (what us country folk call our nearest town with a Walmart 😆) one evening this week. As I was driving home it had gotten dark and I needed my high beams to be able to see, which is definitely not unusual for country living. But something struck a chord this night. When I turned on my high beams I noticed so much more of what was around me. I saw more and I saw it more clearly. My perspective was different. When I had to switch back to my normal headlights everything narrowed; I saw less and what I did see was definitely less clear. And I had an AHA! moment...

When my perspective is widened and I see a broader picture it's easier to have understanding and be grateful. But when my view is narrow and unclear I tend to focus on the bits and pieces I can see and those become my focus because they're all I have. I'm finding that I have wasted a lot of time with a narrow perspective, but this journey to live a life of gratefulness has really stretched and started to broaden my view.

Yes, this week has been rough and yes, I'm processing through some anxiety from that stinkin' tornado... but every night when I sit down to journal I found myself having a long list of things to be grateful for.

NARROW PERSPECTIVE: fear, loss, anxiety, sadness
BROADENED PERSPECTIVE: community, love, kindness, hard work, unity, provisions, safety, hope, peace, rebuilding, and so much more.

So I want to encourage you this week... don't wait for a disaster to happen to begin to see beauty around you. Take a deep breath, look around, and be grateful for all that surrounds you. So when something does happen your heart and mind are already prepared to be grateful.



Things I was grateful for this week:
  • Hearing and knowing the voice of the Lord.
  • The therapy that cooking and playing the piano offers.
  • Protection and provision.


"Grateful: (adjective)
    warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful" - Dictionary.com 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Whatthenikki. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and your love for the Lord. I am truly blessed by your blog post "A Journey To A Gratefulness". What comes of the situations that we go through or face is lovely for those who love Him. I was encouraged to ponder over Narrow perspective and a broadend perspective and also things I have to be grateful to every day. It was bit disturbing to know the disaster that hit middle Tennessee. I do not know whether Labonan which is close to Neshville comes in that belt of disaster. We have one family from our church who is serving the Lord in above town and we have not heard from them any such thing. But praying for the people who lost their homes and probably dear ones and the rebuilding and the restoration work that is in process. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We aslo encourage young and the adults fromt the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you and your family a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the New year. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. I may not be able to revisit you blog post and hence I am giving my email id for communication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reaching out and letting me know you've taken the time to read some of my blogs! I really appreciate the support. I will definitely pray about a trip to India. God bless!

      Delete