Monday, January 16, 2017

Walking Down a Road Less Traveled

On August 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C., an infamous moment in history took place. This moment is not only known by every American, but by people around the world. A man, humbled and filled with love, spoke words that would penetrate the very core of our country. They went like this:

"I have a dream today ... I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted , hill and mountain shall be made low. 'l'he rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together. This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able  to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will he able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day." ~ Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. 

(See whole speech at: https://www.archives.gov/files/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf)

A man that exuded justice from his veins, his very heartbeat being that of love,  and humility encasing him led a generation (and many more to follow) down a road less traveled. Knowing that pain would be around every corner, that others may try to soil his name and reputation, he chose to move forward without looking back. Things have never been and will never be the same because of it.

Well, MLK, today I have a dream.I have a dream of a world filled with love and purity. I dream of a world where children live in homes with both of their parents. Where parents lead there homes in wisdom and love. That our homes would become places where the presence of the Lord dwells, and thus true freedom reigns. I dream of this world being turned upside down simply because men and women fight for righteous and pure marriages... a holy and sacred union. That easy road that says "give up", "things will never change" or "I can't fix it" would be erased from the mouths of people around the world. It is a hard road to fight for what is right, in love and yet hold the standards high. But, I believe to see change it must start here... placing our Heavenly Father in the center of home and marriage.

You see, I believe that if a child is brought up in love that they will walk in love. Proverbs 22:6 tells us that if we train our children in the way they should go, when they are old they will not veer from it. And I cling to that! If we want to see all the horrible things in this world end, we need to train our children. Not only in word but even more so in action.

I am not oblivious to the fact that this world will never be perfect, because I have read the end of my Bible. What I do stand on though, if we want to see change it has to start with us, in our homes, in our families. We cannot preach one thing to the world and then idly sit by as our homes are torn apart with greed, slander, impurities, bitterness and the list could go on.

So Dr. King, I follow your lead, and I will continue to walk that road less traveled. To stand for what I hold to be true. The road where one must seek justice, love mercy and walk humbly with our God (Micah 6:8). The road where I may not be favored by man, but honored by God. The road that can at times seem lonely but knowing that every step is ordained. Letting the love of God so penetrate me that my words are bright and my mind is slow to anger because anger only brings folly (Proverbs 14:29). I cannot bring this solution myself, but I can pray. I can stand on the word. And I can be there to pray and encourage those around me... one step at a time!

I pray that my life can be one bringing glory to the Lord in word and in deed. I don't want to just write these things down, I want to live them. And as I reflect today on your life, MLK, I see a man not of perfection but with a heart for the things of God. That is an example I can run with... even if the road gets bumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment